Youth Mental Health First Aid for VT School Staff. USE CODE AOELEA
Tuesday, Nov 16, 2021
11:00am – 3:00pm
Youth Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. This 6-hour training gives adults who work with youth the skills they need to reach out and provide initial support to adolescents (ages 12-18) who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care. This virtual training includes 2 hours of on-line pre-work and 4 hours of Zoom instruction.
By recognizing signs of mental health distress and knowing how to communicate with individuals experiencing these scary moments, we can be part of an immensely impactful early intervention effort. If we identify problems early, we increase the chances people get the help they need as soon as possible.
Registering for this training commits you to 2 hours of online pre-work and 4 hours of live Zoom instruction. Please do not register if you think you will be unable to complete both components.
The Blended Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Course (2–hour self-paced; 4 hours in-person) focuses on recognizing the patterns of thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and appearance that show there might be a mental health challenge. Participants are taught an action plan that they apply to non-crisis and crisis situations. By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
• Describe the purpose of YMHFA and the role of the First Aider.
• Recognize the signs and symptoms of mental health challenges.
• Explain the impact of traumatic experiences and the role of resilience.
• Apply the appropriate steps of the YMHFA Action Plan (ALGEE) to non-crisis situations.
• Apply the appropriate steps of the YMHFA Action Plan (ALGEE) to crisis situations.
• Choose appropriate methods for self-care following the application of YMHFA.
Each Session Includes
• 2 hours self-paced course / 4 hours Live Zoom call
• 3 year certification (similar to CPR)
• Follow-up support on this everlasting journey of mental wellness