Cultural and Linguistic Competence Training to Address Disparities and Inequities – Montpelier
Tuesday, Feb 18, 2020
9:00am – 4:00pm
Cultural and Linguistic Competence Training to Address Disparities and Inequities
Maria Mercedes Avila, PhD, MSW provides consultation and training on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice and has trained more than 7500 providers across 25 states and 150+ organizations (hospitals, community health centers, departments of health and mental health, mental health and disability agencies, family and youth serving organizations, higher education institutions, and schools). Since 2011, Dr. Avila has been invited to lead 48 national presentations and 100+ regional sessions on topics related to National CLAS Standards, health disparities, social justice in health care, culturally responsive care and practice, social determinants of health, health and racial equity, and cultural competence in advocacy and leadership.
1. Self-report increased self-awareness of racial, ethnic and class biases
2. Self-report increased knowledge of cultural and linguistic competency and how to incorporate it into service providing
3. Self-report increased knowledge about links between racial and health inequities and implications of demographic trends for health disparities
4. Self-report increased knowledge about how to integrate National CLAS Standards into practice and service providing
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH
CEU / Contact Hours
– Northern Vermont Area Health Education Center is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Northeast MultiState Division, an accredited approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
-CME Northern Vermont Area Health Education Center is approved as a provider of Continuing Medical Education (CME) by the New Hampshire Medical Society, accredited by the ACCME.
– Allied Mental Health, Physical Therapy, Psychology 5.5 Continuing Education Credits approved by these professions’ Boards of Examiners.
– Social Work This program is Approved by the National Association of Social Workers (Approval # 886793214-7710) for 5.5 continuing education contact hours.
-Health Care Interpreters This program is nationally accredited by the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters for 5.5 instructional hours.
No Interests to Disclose: María Mercedes Avila, PhD Planner & Presenter – Sarah Morgan, MD Medical Director – Joan Devine, BSN, RN Nurse Planner
No individuals in a position to control content for this activity have any relevant financial relationships to declare.
Event LocationCCV Montpelier Vermont
660 Elm Street
Montpelier, VT, 05602